Saturday, April 25, 2015

Pedal on Parliament #POP2015

Made it along to my second, Pedal on Parliament event today and was very impressed (once again!) with the turnout.

--- some four to five thousand cyclists, I'd say?

& also the generally smooth organisation of the whole day :-)

I know that doesn't happen by accident, and the organising-team deserve huge congratulations for their efforts!

Picture on the left is of my arrival at the Harrison Park (Shandon) feeder-ride


And, on the right here, you can see my bike back at home still displaying the 'Harrison Park Feeder Ride' flag(s) ...

Behind it all, is an 8-point manifesto, which you can read via here --- and I'll also repeat the main points below:

1)    Proper funding for cycling.
2)    Design cycling into Scotland’s roads.
3)    Safer speeds where people live, work and play
4)    Integrate cycling into local transport strategies
5)    Sensible road traffic law and enforcement
6)    Reduce the risk of HGVs to cyclists and pedestrians
7)    A strategic programme of road user training
8)    Solid research on cycling to support policy-making

All eminently sensible; but I do acknowledge that whilst the City of Edinburgh Council is making good progress in all eight areas, there is much, much more to do.


No comments: