Friday, May 06, 2011

Hugely frustrating result

Hugely frustrating result for Sarah last night - losing by just 237 votes is tough ...

... but, I really don't think there was anything else we could have done locally to stop the tide-of-change that faced us.

Thanks to all in the campaign team for wonderful support :-)

And many congratulations due to Marco Biagi - I hope he serves Edinburgh Central well - the omens are good, as he was extremely generous towards Sarah in his acceptance speech. I wish him the best of luck.

2 comments:

A Brown said...

Unfortunate result. I agree, although labour's results in Edinburgh were relatively better than the rest of Scotland so perhaps something can be learnt there.

Also Labour probably made the mistake of thinking this entire election was just core constituencies plus swing vote. The reality turned out to be more complex and a lot of potential supporters in places like Glasgow etc stayed at home.

Andrew said...

A Brown

Belated thanks for the comment!

I agree that Edinburgh's results were relatively better than most of Scotland (for Labour) but still bitterly disappointing nevertheless :-(

I also agree with your point about over-emphasis on the core-Labour vote. I'm sure there will lots more considered analysis about this in the coming weeks/months.

Andrew