Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Parking Review update ...

I did promise to provide an update from this morning's Transport Committee Meeting on the CPZ-extension proposals ... so, here goes:

Firstly, can I thank everyone for the large amount of feedback I've had to the report - it really has been appreciated and I did try and feed as much of the comments I received into my own verbal submission to the Committee earlier this morning.

I have to say that the Committee Meeting was far from ideal and a lot of (initially, at least) competing amendments were being moved to the report's recommendations before an all-Party agreement was eventually reached on the way forward. There was then, ultimately, no political division on this.

I will try and outline how I read the main decisions below - I have to stress this is my interpretation (I think it's correct) but it will be the actual 'minute' of the meeting that is final and I will post separately on that just as soon as the Committee Clerks have it approved.

So, for Report No. 22 and the recommendations 12c and 12d (see page 2 here) which affect areas of the Fountainbridge/Craiglockhart Ward:

  • 12c - was amended to read: To recommend to proceed with formal proposals to introduce controlled parking in the Ashley area by including this area in the existing Parking Zone S4, with the exception of the Shaftesbury Park Colonies. Parking issues in the Shaftesbury Park Colonies to be further investigated by a 'local panel' of relevant Ward Elected members and community councillors

  • 12d - was slightly amended to read: To not recommend to proceed with formal proposals to introduce controlled parking in the Lockharton/Meggetland area; with outstanding parking issues in the the whole area to be further investigated by a 'local panel' of relevant Ward Elected members and community councillors

In essence, my understanding is that this now means:

  • CPZ controls are being abandoned for the Lockharton/Meggetland area, but that specific pressure points like Craiglockhart Terrace and Colinton Road (just for example) will be picked up by the 'local panel' for further discussion/action

  • CPZ controls for the Shaftesbury Park Colonies are being abandoned, but that specific outstanding issues such as pavement parking (just for example) will be picked up by the 'local panel' for further discussion/action

  • CPZ controls for the remainder of the Ashley area --- Harrison Gardens, Harrison Place, Ogilvie Terrace, the various Ashley's and Cowan Road --- will now move to the next stage of the process which is formal consultation and eventual advertisement of a traffic order

I cannot stress enough that decision 12c above only means that the proposals go on to the next stage - the last stage was informal consultation - there will now be a formal consultation and eventual advertisement of a traffic order. There will still be ample chance to object to (or support!) the proposals as that process unfolds.

I'm fully aware that the decisions above will not be welcomed by everyone, but I do believe they represent the current majority feedback to the recently completed informal consultation. That said, as I mention above, there will still be ample opportunity for residents to input further thoughts into the process as it now unfolds.

Please do get back to me if you need any further information/clarification at this stage - and, as promised above, I will post separately on the actual 'minute' of this morning's meeting just as soon as the Committee Clerks have it approved.

Many thanks again for all the feedback and input to date ...

No comments: